While students can find all of the following in Turabian or Form and Style, I want to point out some of the basics here.
- Typeface: Twelve point, Times New Roman (or similar). Not acceptable: Bold type, colored type, larger or smaller fonts (with the possible exception of footnotes which may use ten point type).
- Paragraphs: Indent, double space, justify to the left, do not skip lines between paragraphs.
- Margins: one inch on all sides.
- Page numbering begins on the second page of text and should be placed in a header in the top right corner with the author's last name: for example, Smith, 7.
- Staple papers at the top left corner. Do not use folders or binders unless the professor specifically asks for it.
Graphically speaking, nothing in the physical appearance of your paper should make it stand out from the others. The professors are looking for evidence of great thinking, not impressive graphics.