Applying for Financial Aid
PRIOR to Receipt of Financial Aid Award Letter
Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to include the school code for Claremont School of Theology: G01288.
Helpful Hints for completing the FAFSA:
- Complete the FAFSA on the Internet at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. You can check the results of your processed FAFSA online. You can correct any errors you made while filling out your application. You can print a copy of your Student Aid Report online.
- Prevent delays in processing your financial aid by making sure that you answer all questions on the FAFSA completely and accurately.
- A great resource provided by Department of Education is at http://studentaid.ed.gov.
- Make sure you sign the FAFSA. You can use the personal identification number (PIN) to sign electronically or you can print a signature page. After you sign your FAFSA you must "submit" it.
- Do NOT leave items blank; if the answer is zero, write "0".
- If you have not completed your prior year's taxes yet, use estimated figures based on W2s/1099s or the previous year’s figures. Be sure to attach your tax documents to your FAFSA.
- If you receive a request from the Claremont Financial Aid Office for additional information or documentation, respond immediately to avoid delays in the processing of your financial aid. If chosen for verification you will need to order a copy of your tax transcript on the IRS website.
Step 2: Expect to receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education (keep it for your records) within 4-6 weeks after completing the FAFSA. The institution will receive your Institutional Student Aid Report (ISIR).
Step 3: The Claremont Financial Aid Office will determine if additional information from you (e.g., tax transcripts) is required. If you receive a request for additional information or documentation, please respond immediately to avoid delays in the processing of your financial aid award. Please allow 4-6 weeks processing time.
Step 4: When your file is complete, the Financial Aid Office will review it and determine your eligibility for financial aid awards, including scholarships, loans, and work-study.
Step 5: After your eligibility has been determined, you will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter through the Student Portal, which will indicate each award and amount(s) offered to help you fund your studies. Accept or decline your award letter by signing in on the Student Portal under Financial Aid to secure your award.
Upon Receipt of Financial Aid Award Letter
Step 1: Complete the Scholarship Recipient Profile Form if you were awarded a Claremont scholarship.
Step 2: Visit the Federal Loan page if you are taking out a loan for the first time, and read the steps for applying for a Federal Stafford Loan.
Step 3: Sign in on the Student Portal and accept or decline your financial aid award letter.