Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Not based on need
- Repayment begins six months after the borrower graduates, withdraws or drops below half-time.
- Borrower pays the interest. Borrower has the option of making interest-only payments while in school or allowing the interest to accrue and be capitalized at repayment.
- Borrowers have up to 10 years to repay.
- Fees from 0 up to 3% may be deducted at disbursement.
- The aggregate loan amount for graduate students is $138,500 (including undergraduate loans).
- Current interest rate is 5.41%.
Stafford loans are limited federally to $20,500 per academic year for graduate students and cannot exceed an aggregate total of $138,500 for all student loans including undergraduate loan debt.
Applying for Federal Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized or Graduate PLUS)
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who have not previously received a Federal Stafford Loan while at Claremont School of Theology must complete the following steps. Your student loan will not be processed nor funds released until you have completed the steps below.
NOTE: Students applying for Graduate PLUS loans must have first applied for and received the full amount of Stafford Unsubsidized Loans of $20,500.
Step 1: Prior to receiving Federal Direct Loans, you must successfully complete entrance counseling.
- Complete "Entrance Counseling." You must answer all questions and fill in all required fields. Upon successful completion of the session, EdFund will electronically notify Claremont School of Theology.
- Create a budget. (Optional)
Step 2: Access your student loan history online. You will need your FAFSA pin in order to access your information.