COS 314 - Pastoral Care and Counseling
Instructor: Rev. John Farley M.Div., M.A.F.T.
This course focuses upon the pastor’s understanding of human nature with attention to methods and skills in pastoral care and counseling. Students participate in an assessment of their personal interactive styles.
- Examination of basic styles and types of pastoral care and counseling
- Analysis of pastoral-care experiences through such methods as case studies, verbatim, incident reports, and tapes
- Practice in the skills of pastoral care and counseling with classes, feedback, and appropriation of insights gained
- Focus on the counseling process from initial contact to completion, including referral as appropriate
- Formation of pastoral theology through reflection on the uniqueness of the pastoral dimensions of care and counseling
- Sensitivity to the life situations and relationships of the individual receiving care and counseling
Basic Types of Pastoral Care & Counseling: Resources for the Ministry of Healing and Growth (ISBN number BV4012.2/ C528 1984) by Howard Clinebell
Pastoral Care and Counseling: Redefining the Paradigms (ISBN number BV4510.3/ P276 2004) edited by Nancy J. Ramsay
A Pastor’s Poetry: Volume One (ISBN number BV4012.2/ W34 2005) by Kenny J. Walden
The Places You Go: Caring for Your Congregation Monday through Saturday (ISBN number BV4011.3/ B48 2003) by Urias Beverly
Brief Pastoral Counseling: Short Term Approaches and Strategies (ISBN number BV4012.2/S741994) by Howard Stone
This class requires homework to be turned in before the class starts:
Download class syllabus & pre-class assignments